Friday, April 13, 2012

Protein-Packed Burger!

I've recently become intrigued in meatless burgers. There are so many healthy modifications to make to Western society's favourite food. I've seen a lot of recipes for quinoa burgers and black bean burgers. I thought I'd try my hand at a meatless burger, so I created the fibre- and protein-rich lentil burger! Let's just say - DELISH (and healthy, obv).


Here's what you're gonna need (makes 1 patty):
- 1/3 cup lentils
- 1 medium egg
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- parsley
- other spices of your choice
- cooking spray


Here's what you gotta do:
1. In a food processor (or the good ol' Magic Bullet!), pulse together all the ingredients
2. Once thick, scoop it all outta the processor.
3. Mould it into a patty shape with your hands.
4. Spray a pan, and heat it up on medium-high heat
5. Carefully put the patty on the pan. Cook until the bottom is browned, then flip and cook until the other side is browned.
* It may take a bit longer for the inside to cook through, so just keep flipping until the inside is heated through.
6. Once cooked, treat it like a burger!


I didn't have any buns (since I don't eat burgers), so I just ate mine as it was with a fork and knife. I topped it with organic hummus and mustard (my fave!), and roasted some veggies on the side.


And there you have it! A healthy, low fat, protein packed, and fibre rich burger! Who woulda thunk it?!


Nutrition Stuffz (burger without toppings and side veggies):
114 calories
5 g fat (from the egg)
9 g carbs (2g fibre, 7g net carbs)
10 g protein


Compare that to President Choice Blue Menu Thick & Juicy Lean Beef Burgers**:
210 calories
14g fat (5g saturated fat... ew. And these are the "lean" burgers)
1g carbs (0 fibre)
21g protein
** These facts came from: http://tinyurl.com/7m5pc5e


So next time you want a burger, try this recipe out! It's delicious and healthy! And if you're a legume-lover (like myself), try this recipe with different beans! Each one will give you a slightly different taste with great nutrition!


Happy eating!


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment